What is Suburban Monastery?
Suburban Monastery is a learning community, but learning of a certain kind. We want to learn the life of Jesus through engagement with the enduring spiritual practices we find in Scripture and Christian history. In other words, we are in search of all the ways to be with Jesus, to learn from him, to relate to him in our real-world issues and challenges, and finally to be shaped by him in the triune life of God: the Son as he lives in company with the Father and the Spirit. We want to know what it means to live and pray better, with more depth and clarity.
Suburban Monastery is meant to be both a community and a program that takes the challenge of spiritual growth and maturity seriously.
What do we do at Suburban Monastery?
Our purpose is to embrace intentional spiritual life:
• we pray: we ask God to shape our lives into the image of his Son Jesus
• we introduce important themes from Scripture, history and biography
• we get pragmatic, asking what it means to “practice” what we are talking about
• we take time for experiential engagements with spiritual practices
• we take time for meaningful discussion and debrief
• we leave with the charge to “go and do”
Our Meeting Dates for this 2018/2019 Season:
Wednesday, October 17, 2018:
Topic: Chronos and Kairos
Description: We often live as slaves to Chronos, measured time, literally the god of the clock and calendar. But God has called us to live in Kairos, the quality of time which is purpose filled and rich with gifts. Come and explore how as 21st century Christians, we seek intimacy with God in the tension between Chronos and Kairos.
Lead Presenter: Richelle Wiseman
Wednesday, November 21, 2018:
Topic: An interactive evening where we will be discussing themes and questions such as these:
• How can we develop greater intimacy with God?
• The scriptures tell us that Christ lives in us and we are in Christ, how is that a reality for us?
• How can we align our head knowledge with our heart?
• How can we be on a path of transformation towards Christlikeness?
• How can we be filled with the fullness of God?
• How can we have true inner freedom in God?
Discussion Leader: Gerry Belyk
Wednesday, February 20, 2019;
Wednesday, March 20, 2019;
Wednesday, April 17, 2019;
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
We meet in the Bistro and start at 7:00pm and end at 8:15pm.
We will post the topic and a brief description prior to each session.
Sign up below!